KnittingPathsOfLife

Saturday, November 13, 2010

SINTERKLAUS AND PIET ARRIVED IN HOLLAND TODAY

Today, we went in to the city center and shopped for awhile and had lunch. These buildings became famous in an Anton Pieck painting.
I bought a little Sint gift for Heidi and she was checking it out on the down escalator. We had lunch in this store.
As we were getting ready to leave the city, we heard that Sint was coming. No, not by train, but by boat on the canal.
Piet comes on a few boats leading the one with Sint on it. Sint comes from Spain
and rides his white horse when he leaves the boat.
It is said if the children are bad, they will get the roe (like an old style broom) and put into a sack and taken to spain if you are really bad.
This Piet was hanging from the rigging on the way in. The Piets all run around give the children little ginger cookies called Peppernoten.

10 comments:

onlymehere said...

I love how you're there for this special time. It's so fun to learn about other people and other countries traditions!

KHale Photography said...

Sounds like a fun day! How far away from the old house is this one? I know you are enjoying your time with Aunt Heidi, Jos, and your grandkitty. :) Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos Nancy and so pleased you are having a good time, hope Heidi is settled in her new home and no more problems have arisen.

Love Hazel (UK)

Sweetie said...

Nancy - I am so very happy that you are having this special time with your family. The photos are lovely.
Love,
Sweetie

Linda said...

What a nice day in the city...I love that you were there for the arrival of Sinterklaus and Piet it looks very exciting. Hugs, to you and Heidi too....Linda

angelasweby said...

How nice to see you and Heidi having such a lovely time together. Your photos bring back such lovely memories. Can't wait to hear more or your news. Angela xx

Sonja said...

Thanks Nancy, for these pictures of the Sint. I now know for sure that he has arrived savely in Holland. I even got a chocolat "letter" from him, so I must have been a good girl this year..(GRINS)
Seems to me you are having a great time in Holland. Is everything more or less ready in the house?
groetjes

Susan in SC said...

I am so jealous that you are in Holland to see Sinterklaus and Piet arrive!! I hope you are having a wonderful time!

Mary said...

What great news that you are visiting Heidi, Jos and Dagi in their new home - hope everything is going well and that you all spend a wonderful time together.

Happy Thanksgiving dear - miss hearing from you gals!

onlymehere said...

So happy to hear that things are going well at Heidi's new house. She certainly earned the right to have a relaxing visit with you with all they went through! Thanks for stopping by and your kind comments. I'm glad that you still enjoy the doll. I certainly enjoy our friendship. It's okay that you don't have time to stop by often. It's that time of year, lol! I know life has certainly spun out of control again around here but it's a fun kind of busy for sure. I won't be blogging about it for a couple of weeks but trust me, it's been great fun for me! Take care and have a great time while you're there.
Cindy
P.S. Tell Heidi hi for me!