KnittingPathsOfLife

Friday, January 21, 2011

TRIPOLI AFRICA 1961

May 20 1961, Bill, Fawn and I boarded a plane just like this one to go to Wheelus Air Force Base in Tripoli, Libya, North Africa, to join their Dad who was stationed there.
This flight was 24 hours of in the air time. The military crew was wonderful. At bedtime, they made the seats lay flat for the dependent children and it was quiet enough to hear a pin drop. We stopped in Bermuda and the Azores and both times I had many GI's asking if I needed help with the kids. Longest flight I ever had, and probably the best. No one can beat the Military Men taking care of dependents.


This is a bread market along one of the streets. Needless to say, we bought our bread at the commissary on base.
Santa came on a camel and I have pictures of Bill and Fawn on the camel he came to the base on.
This is a picture of the propeller of the Lady Be Good, a plane that went down in the area. I have a picture of Fawn and Bill sitting in front of it at Easter all dressed up and Fawn covered with the remainder of the chicken pox.
This is a little Arab girl and again I have a picture of Fawn standing with one. I do need to go hunt to pictures now so you can see us in this setting too.
Friends and I took our kids to the beach and when our guys came to check on us on their lunch hour, they layed a thermometer on the sand. It was 120 degrees. They told us we better head home soon. We did.
I thought you might want to see some of what we saw when stationed at Wheelus.
We, for the most part, stayed close to the base. We went to town once in awhile, but only when our husbands were with us. It was an experience, many years ago.
Bill started first grade there, and the bus (not a big yellow one) was driven by an
Arab. I sure did not like that at all.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Cannot say I remember any of Afrika since I could not see very well from where I sat...lol...in your belly.
:-) I do however remember all the photos and I think you would have to get the slides out to find them as I remember them all being slides. Do you still even have them?

Love and hugs ~
Heidi

Susan in SC said...

What wonderful memories you have of this time in your life! Thank you for sharing them with us.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Nancy,
You are a brave woman! I still have my little white leather purse that you sent me from there. It hangs on a hook in my closet. And of course, you know I still have the little camel. You saw it when you were her for Mom's bday a few years ago. Love that camel.
Shari

Linda said...

Nancy, what great memories and wonderful pictures..this was an amazing experience. I loved Santa on his camel and what a beautiful coastal picture...I love the beach and warm days but sand that was 120 degrees...now that is hot... thank you for sharing this tme in your life. hugs, Linda

Zoe said...

Wonderful, Nancy.Hearing from someone who lived there as you did is so much better than hearing from someone who was only a "visitor"; you cn give us the true flavor of Africa so much more than a tourist ever could! Your stories are wonderful and enjoyable.

onlymehere said...

This is priceless for your family to have you record these memories. The pictures can say quite a bit but having your words to go with them is pretty incredible. I wish I knew more about my family in the early years. Mom and dad didn't tend to share those memories with us. Keep up the story telling and adding the pictures is a fabulous way to help us envision things. :)

Jo said...

Maybe I missed something, but mu husband is an Arab ( a more loving man and devoted father you will not find), and I felt kind of hurt by your comment.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.