KnittingPathsOfLife

Saturday, February 20, 2010

PRESIDENT HARDING, ANOTHER OHIO MAN


Warren Gamaliel Harding (November 2, 1865 – August 2, 1923) was the 29th President of the United States, serving from 1921 until his death from a heart attack in 1923. A Republican from Ohio, Harding was an influential newspaper publisher. He served in the Ohio Senate (1899–1903) and later as the 28th Lieutenant Governor of Ohio (1903–1905) and as a U.S. Senator (1915–1921).

His conservative stance on issues such as taxes, affable manner, and campaign manager Harry Daugherty's 'make no enemies' strategy enabled Harding to become the compromise choice at the 1920 Republican National Convention. During his presidential campaign, in the aftermath of World War I, he promised a return to "normalcy". In the 1920 election, he and his running-mate, Calvin Coolidge, defeated Democrat and fellow Ohioan James M. Cox, in what was then the largest presidential popular vote landslide in American history since the popular vote tally began to be recorded in 1824: 60.36% to 34.19%.

Harding headed a cabinet of notable men such as Charles Evans Hughes, Andrew Mellon, future president Herbert Hoover and Secretary of the Interior Albert B. Fall, who was jailed for his involvement in the Teapot Dome scandal. In foreign affairs, Harding signed peace treaties that built on the Treaty of Versailles (which formally ended World War I). He also led the way to world Naval disarmament at the Washington Naval Conference of 1921–22.

Because of the Teapot Dome scandal and other scandals in his administration, polls of historians and scholars consistently rank Harding as one of the worst Presidents.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Being noted as one of the worst presidents is not notable. :-) We should skip this one then...lol. I am still trying to figure out which president's memorial I saw when I went up to visit one of the other grand officers. I just am not sure. Did I put it in a scrapbook? I think she lived in Coshocton. Maybe not, but it was up past Youngstown cause you were afraid for me to drive there on my own. Any thoughts?

Love and hugs ~
Heidi

onlymehere said...

I really didn't realize we had so many notable people from Ohio! I'm not very good with knowing much about our presidents. Kaje' just had an AP class that went into depth about them and she taught me quite a bit, just as you just did. I hope things are going well there for you right now and that you're getting some sunshine after all yours now!

Sonja said...

Presidents and war, but how is your own warrior doing?..And still so much snow at your place? Over here we have had some days without snow, finally. But now it is constantly raining. .. I hope that this is the beginning of spring!

Linda said...

I really did not know a thing about this president...too bad about the lable, but it sounds like he did do some good things.

Your blog is looking so pretty..love all the shamrocks and green...hugs, Linda