KnittingPathsOfLife

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I MUST BE NUTS

I think for a short period of time, I lost my mind. I was thinking about hand quilting this hugh piece of fabric ON MY OWN. Now you see why, I must be nuts. Having never quilted before, I think I better go back to my original plan and put the buttons I bought on the pink squares. If it was a wall hanging, it would be different. I also have shams to do. I need to start smaller IF I ever get crazy enough to think I want to quilt. I DON'T. Sorry for the lighting, they do better when you click them.

When I was in Holland a few years ago, Heidi helped me put this together. I took the fabric and the pattern came in squares. She told me how much of each fabric to bring. When I got home, I added the border. Now, I have the back ready, and the batting. I went to Joanns yesterday to buy batting and while there, I bought quilting needles and thread. The backing fabric is part of eight yards I bought to make civil war dresses when Mandie was involved. I never used it. I have an entire Amish bedroom, so I need to JUST DO IT, my theme song, and put it on my bed.
This is one end of my living room. You can see the batting and back fabric on the end of the couch. On a good note, the skirt is finished on my cross stitch angel.

11 comments:

Heidi said...

Boy it has been a while since I have seen this quilt top. You are going to love it when it is finished and on your bed. I think you will need to start smaller too for quilting. What about trying to quilt the shams and do the buttons for the actual quilt? Whatever you decide, have fun!

Love and hugs ~
Heidi

BittersweetPunkin said...

Oh my goodness Nancy..that looks like a big job but given your talents I know you do whatever you set your mind to!

Linda said...

Nancy, this is going to be so nice when finised...I love all the panels depicting the Amish. Oh my, hand quilting would be a huge job...buttons would be pretty and much quicker and then you could enjoy your quilt sooner...whatever you decide it's going to be a great piece.

Your Halloween punkin is cute..I'm looking forward to Fall...there is a chill in the air and the leaves are turning...isn't this a pretty time of year....hugs, Linda

Carolien said...

I love this amish fabric, Nancy! Well, you will find a way to finish it, I'm sure. And yes, it is big!!!

Hugs, Carolien

Barbara said...

On my gosh, it is beautiful, but I'm glad it's you who is going to quilt it. It will be so beautiful when finished with the shams to match.
Hugs,
Barbara/MO

Anonymous said...

Hello Nancy
I can't believe it: I made exact the same quilt! Only yours is a big one but the colours are also the same. Come to take a look next time you are in Holland. I quilted around the people, houses and so. The clothes-lines and horse-buggy are a little difficult but you can manage it. Lots of success, hugs and groetjes,
Elly

Sweetie said...

Such beautiful fabric. You are really taking on a huge project but I know that you can do it. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Sweetie

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

tuite the undertaking to hand quilt something that large. Kuddos to you for even considering it.

It's a beautiful quilt, the fabric must have been a lucky find as it will fit perfectly into an Amish room.

Amy Marie said...

Aunt Nancy, my friends live close to you! Hope you are surviving ok with out power! The quilt looks great!

Anonymous said...

Hello Nancy
It's a challenge quilting this top,I wish you a lot of energy.
I made from the same fabric four pillows,that was a piece of cake.
I love your quilt and have fun with the quilting.

Big hug Joke.

Solstitches said...

What a fabulous quilt Nancy!
This really deserves to be finished and displayed.