KnittingPathsOfLife

Saturday, March 21, 2009

A TRIP TO MEET SWEETIE

Today, George and I took a trip to Pennsylvania and back so I could meet Sweetie. Today, they had a fun raiser to award a scholarship in her daughter's name. Most of you know, her daughter was murdered a little over a year ago, and they have not yet found the murderer. They had a spagetti dinner to raise the money. I am so happy we made the trip, she is so worth meeting. They are giving this to a student who would not normally qualify for a scholarship, it will not be based on grades. What a wonderful thing to do, her daughter Michelle put it all together. She has a great family, I was able to meet them.
I embroidered this tote bag for her on my embroidery machine. It has a little touch of Holland in blue work. She loves blue.

The lining is blue and white checks.

She has a new Great Granddaughter and she is named after her Grandmother, the one who was killed, Sherry. Since they spelled her first name Haylee, she won't find her name on things. I know, my Great Granddaughter is Haali. I embroider her name on things. Sweetie told me she uses her full name. I saw the baby and she is a little darling.

I bought the outfit, then put the name on it.

I did practice names in different fonts and colors, so I took the practice fabric to her so maybe later she can use them on something.
It was a long day, it is five hours each way, but it was really worth it. Thanks to George, I wouldn't have done it by myself and I really wanted to go and surprise her. She was working in the kitchen and one of her Grand children went to tell her to come out. She didn't work while I was there, she sat down with us. LOL.





14 comments:

Sweetie said...

Nancy,
I am still in a daze. It was wonderful meeting you and George. I don't think that I have ever been that surprised. My daughters love you. I have often talked about you with them. They were in awe of someone that would travel that far to meet me. Words just can't express how I feel. You are so very special and George is too. There aren't many husbands that would drive that far. I could write on and on but I have to get ready for church.
Love,
Sweetie

Amy Marie said...

That is so wonderful you made the trip over there and to support your friend!

Tammy said...

What a nice thing to do Nancy and lovely gifts you made too.
I'm so glad you got to meet your friend and kudos to George for driving.

Heidi said...

I am so glad you went. I said from day one that Sweetie was meant to find your blog because of the support you could offer her. I am sure she must have been totally surprised when you showed up. It is good to hear that the dinner was a success.

Love and hugs ~
Heidi

Linda said...

How neat to meet Sweetie and what a wonderful surprise for her. I love the gifts and the way you were able to personalize them with your machine. What a happy day with lots of memories...George is a special fella to make the trip...hugs, Linda

onlymehere said...

What an amazing thing for you to do! I'm sure that this helps cement the friendship that you had already begun with Sweetie. Oh my gosh, what can I say about your sweet husband George? That is such a long time to drive each way and he did it bz he loves you. That really warms my heart. I'm so very glad that you got to meet.

Susan in SC said...

Well now I know where Heidi gets her compassion and love for other people from! It's from you!! What a thoughtful and generous trip that was to make. You are truly a blessing to the people you meet!

Hugs,
Susan

BittersweetPunkin said...

Nancy..how wonderful...I'm sure she appreciated your support and the lovely gifts you brought. That was very thoughtful of you...LOVE the bag!

Constance said...

What a blessing you are! It reminds me in the Bible where it tells us,
"Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 Thessalonians 5:11
Have an incredible Monday!
Connie

angelasweby said...

Nancy,
What a lovely occasion for you and Sweetie to meet. Your natural thoughtfulness and kindness means that nothing is too much trouble for you. If it helps someone else, you will do it and do it with all your heart :>)

What lovely gifts you took to mark this special meeting. I think that your trip will have helped to heal some of the wounds Sweetie and her family must be enduring.
You and George are such special people :>)
Warm hugs Angela

imjacobsmom said...

How nice of you and George to go the extra mile for Sweetie and her family! She is lucky to have a bloggy friend like you! ~ Robyn

Deb said...

Hi Nancy! How sweet of you to do that for Sweetie. I just love the tote and the embroidered work. Deb

Carolien said...

What a nice thing to do, to meet Sweetie in person! That must have been a special day for both of you.
You made such pretty things, wow!!! You're a sweetie as well ...

Hugs, Carolien

Mary said...

You and your dear George made Sweetie so happy - what a lovely thing to do. Your embroidered items are precious Nancy - making her thankful for your friendship and giving you a good feeling of sharing your talents.

So glad you had a great time.

Happy Spring.
Hugs - Mary.